From time to time, in civil (and not so civil) litigation, it is worthwhile to discover what the best alternatives are to continuing hard-fought litigation. Experience shows that by checking in with a neutral mediator, you can safely explore settlement options without seeming ‘too eager to settle’.
Business Mediation is the most cost and time-efficient method to:
- Business Owner Conflict – Is Saying Partners Important?
- Family Business Succession Planning
- assess the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents;
- persuade directly an unrealistic opposing litigant;
- assist your own client in becoming more realistic by effective use of the mediator in private caucus;
- explore the real worth of value-added options not available at trial (such as maintaining confidentiality and/or creating a plausible cover story; structuring a less expensive, tax-advantaged settlement strategy; eliminating the risks and costs of collection through adequately securing payment; and even constructing broad injunctive relief that would not generally be available in a litigated case);
- focus the opposing litigants or counsel on the sound basis of your litigating position;
- anchor the opposing litigants and counsel on a range of settlement options that you establish through the assistance of the mediator.